National League Rugby Discussion Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Regional Premier Leagues
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Waterloo RUFC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Topic ClosedWaterloo RUFC

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 16>
Author
Message
Monkey Boy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner


Joined: 13 Nov 2011
Status: Offline
Points: 1514
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 02:52
What have Loo got to offer these Sandbach lads?
Back to Top
Aspirant View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner


Joined: 21 Mar 2012
Location: Teesside
Status: Offline
Points: 641
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 08:15
Dosh by the sound of it
To The National Leagues and Beyond
Back to Top
Penda View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner


Joined: 03 May 2012
Location: Sandbach
Status: Offline
Points: 350
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 09:45
As those fresh faced boys from leafy South Cheshire will also be at level 5 next season. Can't see much of an attraction myself.
Back to Top
Elma Fudd View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Avatar

Joined: 06 Nov 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 683
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 09:53
Originally posted by Aspirant Aspirant wrote:

Dosh by the sound of it

Unfortunately not! And if there is a little bit to go around then little it will be!
WooHoo Waterloo!
Back to Top
GaryOwen1984 View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion
Avatar

Joined: 23 Apr 2011
Status: Offline
Points: 227
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 10:53
Karl Temmon would not get murdered at level 5 considering he s played at level 2 and was very good at that level. There should be no issues about him playing at 36/37 as has he had maintained fitness and played for LSH last yr. He would be a good addition to offer experience and a bit of muscle.
Back to Top
Guests View Drop Down
Rugby supporters
Rugby supporters
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 13:38
Originally posted by GaryOwen1984 GaryOwen1984 wrote:

Karl Temmon would not get murdered at level 5 considering he s played at level 2 and was very good at that level. There should be no issues about him playing at 36/37 as has he had maintained fitness and played for LSH last yr. He would be a good addition to offer experience and a bit of muscle.

If Waterloo are looking for muscle to bulk up their pack they need look no further than the 2nd team. There are some sizeable lads with the likes of Congdon, Nuttall and Raywood who can all offer something up front. Also Blanchard who already appears to be beefing up for next season.
Back to Top
Guests View Drop Down
Rugby supporters
Rugby supporters
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 14:09
Did that Congdon lad even get more than 10 minutes for the 1sts? Size is one thing but you need to be able run for 80 minutes at National 3 level!
Back to Top
Guests View Drop Down
Rugby supporters
Rugby supporters
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 14:18
His handling skills are fantastic for a front row, I believe with a full pre-season he could be a handful
Back to Top
GaryOwen1984 View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion
Avatar

Joined: 23 Apr 2011
Status: Offline
Points: 227
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 14:52
The crust gobbler with all respect the names above aren't as experienced, played at anywhere near as high a level, and with respect to nuttall they are a similar age. It would not be a long term plan but with the loss of Wolfie and cheeky it would be a good to have experience for two seasons to help bolster a young pack.
Back to Top
Sten View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Avatar

Joined: 22 Sep 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Online
Points: 1714
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 15:03
I like the look of Nevin & Carter from the 2nds, but not exactly monsters I know....

Pack for next season would look like this at the minute....

Harvey Croft Gibney
Frost McKie
Palmer Bell Nolan

With maybe Nevin / Carter rotating for Palmer (I don't think he can play every game due to work?) I suppose 2nd row is the obvious place to bulk up, with McKie playing flanker 

Back to Top
Guests View Drop Down
Rugby supporters
Rugby supporters
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 15:12
Gary how does one get experience? Give these lads a chance I say!
Back to Top
Guests View Drop Down
Rugby supporters
Rugby supporters
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 15:13
Originally posted by tulip tulip wrote:

Rumble .  At what age do have an experienced pack. The average age of the Sandal pack is 25. According to you guys we have got another 15 years with these guys. Woo Hoo
Good Point Tulip. Just looking at Bees first choice pack from last season - Wederall (33), Brown (20), Moss (24), Hughes (29) mitchell (21) Cokell (22), Ford (24) Brewer (24) - which is an average at about 24 and 7 months, we have about 18 good seasons ahead of us. As we collected 6 penalty tries from mullering the odd pack last season, then we can look forward to a good season up front for some time to come! Only 4 months to go.
Back to Top
Sten View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Avatar

Joined: 22 Sep 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Online
Points: 1714
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 15:21
I know you are just being flippant, but I will point out the obvious that you cant have a pack full of old dudes, but a couple is fine


Back to Top
Guests View Drop Down
Rugby supporters
Rugby supporters
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 15:28
I agree with The Crust Gobbler, there is plenty of Talent in the 2nd Team, but the problem is lack of communication throughtout the 1st Team to the 2nd Team and the threes for that matter.  For the club to progress, at minimum the 2s should have a nonplaying, un biased coach, (maybe Christo Snr if he is to step down as president) who can communicate with Gareth and Jlo (or any other first team coach) to provide updates.  I agree that Carter is a very good player, but he appears to have played the majority of the season at Number 8 and at the moment is therefore Loos natural replacement for Cheeky.  With all due respect to Carter, he can't be compared to Cheeky in anyway and should've been playing at 13 to utilise his pace and therefore a natural replacement for Trotter (if hes injured). 
Also, throughout the teams, there seems to be a lack of a natural 10.  Reeve has improved throughout the season but in my opinion would still be best suited at Full back (I heard he played here for Sale Jets).  I believe the long term answer is Mr Colebourne.  Rumour has it he played the majority of his Colts rugby at 10 and then gets put on the wing or at full back for the ones.  I would maybe look at dropping Colebourne down to the 2s to play at 10 week in week out and look to 2013 or even 2014 for him to move back to ones and claim the number 10 jersey for his own for a long time to come. 
Finally, I would start to rotate more players through the 1st and 2nd team, ie give Alex Reed 80 minutes at 2s one week and Ced Hughes play/bench for ones etc.  Maybe then 2nd team players might not find it so daunting playing for the ones.


Just a thought...   
Back to Top
Guests View Drop Down
Rugby supporters
Rugby supporters
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 15:37
Well said Boomtown, players need to be able to see a path of progression in front of them. Maybe giving a few lads a run out will inspire everybody to up their game and rid a feel of a 'closed shop'. I fear that potential is languishing in the lower teams and it wont be to long before these lads decide to just be social players. 
Back to Top
Guests View Drop Down
Rugby supporters
Rugby supporters
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 15:43
Originally posted by Boomtown Boomtown wrote:

I agree with The Crust Gobbler, there is plenty of Talent in the 2nd Team, but the problem is lack of communication throughtout the 1st Team to the 2nd Team and the threes for that matter.  For the club to progress, at minimum the 2s should have a nonplaying, un biased coach, (maybe Christo Snr if he is to step down as president) who can communicate with Gareth and Jlo (or any other first team coach) to provide updates.  I agree that Carter is a very good player, but he appears to have played the majority of the season at Number 8 and at the moment is therefore Loos natural replacement for Cheeky.  With all due respect to Carter, he can't be compared to Cheeky in anyway and should've been playing at 13 to utilise his pace and therefore a natural replacement for Trotter (if hes injured). 
Also, throughout the teams, there seems to be a lack of a natural 10.  Reeve has improved throughout the season but in my opinion would still be best suited at Full back (I heard he played here for Sale Jets).  I believe the long term answer is Mr Colebourne.  Rumour has it he played the majority of his Colts rugby at 10 and then gets put on the wing or at full back for the ones.  I would maybe look at dropping Colebourne down to the 2s to play at 10 week in week out and look to 2013 or even 2014 for him to move back to ones and claim the number 10 jersey for his own for a long time to come. 
Finally, I would start to rotate more players through the 1st and 2nd team, ie give Alex Reed 80 minutes at 2s one week and Ced Hughes play/bench for ones etc.  Maybe then 2nd team players might not find it so daunting playing for the ones.


Just a thought...   

Interesting post.

Would love to know your connection to the club as it definitely isn't playing.

lack of communication throughtout the 1st Team to the 2nd Team and the threes for that matter - Every week all the teams captains and coaches talk to work out what players are playing for what teams and whether there is any movement upwards or downwards. So there is most definitely communication.

at minimum the 2s should have a nonplaying, un biased coach, (maybe Christo Snr if he is to step down as president) who can communicate with Gareth and Jlo (or any other first team coach) to provide updates - Christo Snr and Lol connor have actually spent each Thursday night for the past year coaching the twos and made every attempt to be able to get to their games when Christo's presidental role and Lol's career allowed them to attend.

I agree that Carter is a very good player, but he appears to have played the majority of the season at Number 8 and at the moment is therefore Loos natural replacement for Cheeky.  With all due respect to Carter, he can't be compared to Cheeky in anyway and should've been playing at 13 to utilise his pace and therefore a natural replacement for Trotter (if hes injured). - Forgotten about Belly have we? Sure he has played at number 8 a lot over the past few seasons and is young enough to have that shirt for a fair few years. There have been 2 other centres who have played at 13 for the two's this year at 13 that are much more suited to this position than Carter. Nick has always played at 8 for his age group and this year has actually spent a fairly large proportion of the time this year playing at 7. Altogether he is a very raw player that with a large amount of guidance will turn into an absolute gem. Needs to mature as a player before he is ready for the structure at first XV level however.

Also, throughout the teams, there seems to be a lack of a natural 10 - first time you have hit the nail on the head. The club is very aware of this fact.

Reeve has improved throughout the season but in my opinion would still be best suited at Full back (I heard he played here for Sale Jets) - He did indeed and in his debut season for waterloo played in the centres. Ask him which position you think he is best suited to at the moment...

Rumour has it he played the majority of his Colts rugby at 10 and then gets put on the wing or at full back for the ones.  I would maybe look at dropping Colebourne down to the 2s to play at 10 week in week out and look to 2013 or even 2014 for him to move back to ones and claim the number 10 jersey for his own for a long time to come. - You are correct, Sean Colebourne played the majority of last year (10-11) at 10 for the seconds before breaking through into the first XV. Sean also played 10 for the seconds when the firsts did not have a match this year to continue his progression in this position. This is obviously being addressed.

Finally, I would start to rotate more players through the 1st and 2nd team, ie give Alex Reed 80 minutes at 2s one week and Ced Hughes play/bench for ones etc.  Maybe then 2nd team players might not find it so daunting playing for the ones. - Good idea, This year Al Rees, Ollie Nevins, Mark Raywood, Nick Carter, Jacob Allen, Daz Congdon, have all featured for the ones this year and going back to your first point Sean Gibney, Al Rees, Daniel Frost, Martin Bell (after returning from injury) Jack Weare, Sean Colebourn, have all played for the 2's so there is some rotation it just not that common for it to be more than one player a week.


Edited by Mark34625 - 03 May 2012 at 15:51
Back to Top
Sten View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Avatar

Joined: 22 Sep 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Online
Points: 1714
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 15:43
Very interesting & insightful post Boomtown - I would disagree about Reeve though, I think he has had a strong couple of seasons at 10, and wouldn't like to see him being replaced.

I would agree that Colebourne is going to grow into a very strong player for us, I think he looks a natural fit at 15 though (just my opinion)

Not sure how much interaction the 1st and 2nds have around the club tbh - do they train at the same times / place or are they kept totally seperate? It was nice to see a few of the 1sts getting down to LSH to support the boys in the cup, so I guess they must get on socially at least?
Back to Top
Guests View Drop Down
Rugby supporters
Rugby supporters
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 15:54
Originally posted by Sten Sten wrote:

Very interesting & insightful post Boomtown - I would disagree about Reeve though, I think he has had a strong couple of seasons at 10, and wouldn't like to see him being replaced.

I would agree that Colebourne is going to grow into a very strong player for us, I think he looks a natural fit at 15 though (just my opinion)

Not sure how much interaction the 1st and 2nds have around the club tbh - do they train at the same times / place or are they kept totally seperate? It was nice to see a few of the 1sts getting down to LSH to support the boys in the cup, so I guess they must get on socially at least?

First's train twice a week. Seconds train on a thursday only but will be moving to twice a week next year. Both train at the same time and place. There is a huge amount of social interaction from all the lads from 1's down to the younger lads of a similar age who play for the 4's. Most players all socialise and have friends in other teams which has been a breath of fresh air for the past two seasons.


Edited by Mark34625 - 03 May 2012 at 16:29
Back to Top
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff
Avatar

Joined: 22 May 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 2757
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 16:00
Originally posted by Elma Fudd Elma Fudd wrote:

Well here is an update of them as far as I am aware.
...
Back 3: Peter Murchie (no idea of his location, unlikely)
...
 
He's with Glasgow after a spell at London Welsh.  Got called-up to train with Scotland during the 6N.
 
Back to Top
TimesLikeThese View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad
Avatar

Joined: 15 Oct 2011
Location: Liverpool
Status: Offline
Points: 46
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 16:00
With regards to Colebourne, he doesn't look out of place wherever you put him really, so that's probably why he's been all over the place.
And that's the bottom line, 'cause Stone Cold said so!
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 16>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.04
Copyright ©2001-2015 Web Wiz Ltd.