National League Rugby Discussion Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Regional Premier Leagues
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Regional Premier Leagues 2019/20
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Regional Premier Leagues 2019/20

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Message
Dagfish View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion
Avatar

Joined: 22 May 2009
Location: Solihull
Status: Offline
Points: 288
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dagfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 21:22
Originally posted by Thatbloke Thatbloke wrote:

Get what you're saying Dagfish but can't see them shuffling the pack when just 1 level transfer will do the job. Could be different of course if Lymm and/or Wirral were to volunteer

All clubs return to their own regions at the end of each season, and next season's transfers are treated as new. There is no concept of last season's transferred clubs remaining in the Midlands.
Back to Top
Stinger View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player


Joined: 19 Aug 2018
Location: Newport
Status: Offline
Points: 27
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 22:10
Got to feel for Bromsgrove. If transferred their local derby game will be at Newbury!!!

Winning is everything. The only ones who remember you when you come second are your wife and your dog.     
Back to Top
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Avatar

Joined: 24 Jan 2017
Location: Kent
Status: Offline
Points: 550
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 07:50
Originally posted by Dagfish Dagfish wrote:

Originally posted by Thatbloke Thatbloke wrote:

Get what you're saying Dagfish but can't see them shuffling the pack when just 1 level transfer will do the job. Could be different of course if Lymm and/or Wirral were to volunteer

All clubs return to their own regions at the end of each season, and next season's transfers are treated as new. There is no concept of last season's transferred clubs remaining in the Midlands.

So in LSE, Bedford would have to volunteer again to stay unless Peterborough do too? 
Back to Top
Dagfish View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion
Avatar

Joined: 22 May 2009
Location: Solihull
Status: Offline
Points: 288
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dagfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 08:59
My understanding is that Bedford return to Midlands, then the transfer process restarts afresh. They would first ask for volunteers, but if none are forthcoming, it's all worked out on mileage - which would most likely mean that Bedford get transferred for a second season.

In my earlier post I was just saying there is no automatic assumption that clubs stay level-transferred just because they were last season.

However, I did some mileage calculations last night (I have too much spare time on my hands!). As far as North to Midlands is concerned, I think Wirral can be ruled out. Sandbach and Sheffield definitely have the lowest mileages, and it's touch and go between Doncaster and Lymm for the final spot. On the other hand, with Morpeth and Carlisle getting promoted, mileages will increase for clubs at the southern end of Northern Premier. Will that lead to more clubs volunteering to move to Midlands before the mileage calculations are needed?
Back to Top
Mixed grill stottie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Avatar

Joined: 03 May 2011
Location: Gallowshield
Status: Offline
Points: 495
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mixed grill stottie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 09:35
Originally posted by Pristine Shorts Pristine Shorts wrote:

Reference the comment above about Blaydon’s being second best in North Premier... In my opinion, no they were not - Harrogate were better and Blaydon only pipped them by a point to get into the play-offs.

Luctonians clearly superior, but as all three teams mentioned are semi-professional, it would seem a bit more brass is required for all of them !
 
 
 
Blaydon finished 2 points ahead of Harrogate, but with a massive 245 more points scored than Harrogate.
In my opinion a deserved 2nd place.Clap
 
 
 
I am not young enough to know everything.
Back to Top
Pristine Shorts View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner


Joined: 08 Jun 2015
Location: Ilkley
Status: Offline
Points: 452
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pristine Shorts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 10:26
Well the League positions don’t lie I suppose - all I’m saying is from what I saw, Harrogate were marginally the better side, at least against us... Hull were streets ahead of both.

Joint favourites for the top spot next Season ? Or will Macclesfield have something to say about that ?
Back to Top
Pristine Shorts View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner


Joined: 08 Jun 2015
Location: Ilkley
Status: Offline
Points: 452
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pristine Shorts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 10:38
Originally posted by Dagfish Dagfish wrote:

My understanding is that Bedford return to Midlands, then the transfer process restarts afresh. They would first ask for volunteers, but if none are forthcoming, it's all worked out on mileage - which would most likely mean that Bedford get transferred for a second season.

In my earlier post I was just saying there is no automatic assumption that clubs stay level-transferred just because they were last season.

However, I did some mileage calculations last night (I have too much spare time on my hands!). As far as North to Midlands is concerned, I think Wirral can be ruled out. Sandbach and Sheffield definitely have the lowest mileages, and it's touch and go between Doncaster and Lymm for the final spot. On the other hand, with Morpeth and Carlisle getting promoted, mileages will increase for clubs at the southern end of Northern Premier. Will that lead to more clubs volunteering to move to Midlands before the mileage calculations are needed?


The mileages to Morpeth and Carlisle May well be high, but they are easy places to get to travelling from the southern end of NP.
Back to Top
cobbler View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2007
Location: Derby
Status: Offline
Points: 440
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobbler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 11:21
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Macc as potential North to Mids transferees. Could even be more volunteers than needed (as per high number of far North teams now in league), in which case mileage determines which of volunteers would move.

Still a slight Western bias in the Midlands league.
Back to Top
cobbler View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2007
Location: Derby
Status: Offline
Points: 440
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobbler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 11:36
Originally posted by Stinger Stinger wrote:

Got to feel for Bromsgrove. If transferred their local derby game will be at Newbury!!!

Cost them dearly last time it happened.
Back to Top
Dagfish View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion
Avatar

Joined: 22 May 2009
Location: Solihull
Status: Offline
Points: 288
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dagfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 13:27
Originally posted by cobbler cobbler wrote:

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Macc as potential North to Mids transferees.

I understand relegated clubs can't be forced to level transfer. I'm not sure if that also applies to volunteers.
Back to Top
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Avatar

Joined: 01 Jun 2007
Location: Cambridge
Status: Offline
Points: 6061
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 13:55
Yes they can - which was why Cambridge were worried they might have been sent North. 
Unfortunately for Caldy that is not an issue.

The only clubs that cannot are those who have been level transferred and who then return home without being promoted or relegated, they are guaranteed two seasons at home, unless the are promoted or relegated or volunteer 

It happens so rarely it may as well not be in the regulations.


Edited by Camquin - 28 Apr 2019 at 13:56
Blood and Sand
Back to Top
Athman View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner


Joined: 14 May 2013
Location: Bedford
Status: Offline
Points: 780
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Athman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 19:02
I can confirm that Broadstreet, Kettering and Bedford Athletic have been invited to transfer from Midlands to London. I would imagine that following a very positive experience this season Bedford Athletic will be happy to move again.

I would expect a similar process to be underway in the west of the Midlands to find a transferee to the South West Division.

It's an interesting conundrum in the transfer from the North to the Midlands as although three will have to move there are no guarantees it will be the same three as this season. As has been pointed out earlier in the thread moving from North to the Midlands may actually offer closer matches for sides in the south of the region e.g. maybe Sandbach and Macclesfield would happily entertain a Cheshire derby with Burton and Sheffield not that far away either. With Luctonians and probably Bedford Ath out of the league it removes the worst of the travelling south west and south east.


Back to Top
Fudgepacker View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player
Avatar

Joined: 30 Oct 2012
Location: Birmingham
Status: Offline
Points: 34
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fudgepacker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 19:10
I can confirm that Bees, Bournville and Bromsgrove have been invited to transfer from Midlands to South-West. Given the amount of travelling involved and reduced RFU travel subsidy for season 2019/20 I cannot see any of the clubs volunteering meaning it will most likely have to be determined on mileage alone.
Back to Top
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner


Joined: 02 Sep 2017
Location: Newport
Status: Offline
Points: 488
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 19:16
Hi again Athman - long time no speak - you've had a great season after a sticky start - very well done!!
A few Northern clubs were always keen to volunteer for the Midlands as they have seen it as an easier touch but maybe not any more?? Having watched Blaydon get well beaten by Lucs yesterday I think if I were Donny, for example, I would be pushing to return North
As always we'll just have to wait and see
Back to Top
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Avatar

Joined: 24 Jan 2017
Location: Kent
Status: Offline
Points: 550
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 19:53
Originally posted by Athman Athman wrote:

I can confirm that Broadstreet, Kettering and Bedford Athletic have been invited to transfer from Midlands to London. I would imagine that following a very positive experience this season Bedford Athletic will be happy to move again.

I would expect a similar process to be underway in the west of the Midlands to find a transferee to the South West Division.

It's an interesting conundrum in the transfer from the North to the Midlands as although three will have to move there are no guarantees it will be the same three as this season. As has been pointed out earlier in the thread moving from North to the Midlands may actually offer closer matches for sides in the south of the region e.g. maybe Sandbach and Macclesfield would happily entertain a Cheshire derby with Burton and Sheffield not that far away either. With Luctonians and probably Bedford Ath out of the league it removes the worst of the travelling south west and south east.

I think the LSE one is a bit of a no-brainer. Why would Broadstreet and Kettering fancy long trips down the M40 and the hassle of an international fixture? A few people I spoke to at Bedford actually said they preferred LSE due to the travel being easier. So even if Broadstreet or Kettering volunteered, if Bedford do too then the mileage rule comes in and Bedford will win every time.  
Back to Top
Athman View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner


Joined: 14 May 2013
Location: Bedford
Status: Offline
Points: 780
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Athman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 20:01
Yes I agree the Midlands seem to have the edge on the North at the moment with four play off wins in a row (albeit one was Sheffield). So it doesn't look like the easy route it possibly once was but travelling is an issue for everyone these days and oddly enough our travelling would be a lot more in the Midlands League. I don't think we had one journey this year much over two hours in length this season.

Not so good for the South West transferee though and hard on Bromsgrove who have just fought their way back from relegation from the South West league two seasons ago … only to probably be put back there again! 
Back to Top
Bin Licker View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion


Joined: 30 Oct 2011
Status: Offline
Points: 299
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bin Licker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 09:37
Going to SW for any of those 3 is outrageous. We all know what it did for Malvern, Worcester and Bromsgrove. It is not sustainable at this level.  I am afraid I cannot fathom how Bourneville in centre of Brum could even be considered? I know rules is rules and somebody will have the route planners out but common sense should prevail.
Do Lucs go North again?
Back to Top
Cannon View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Avatar

Joined: 21 Jan 2010
Location: 20m behind play
Status: Offline
Points: 1163
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 09:53
Originally posted by Bin Licker Bin Licker wrote:

Going to SW for any of those 3 is outrageous. We all know what it did for Malvern, Worcester and Bromsgrove. It is not sustainable at this level.  I am afraid I cannot fathom how Bourneville in centre of Brum could even be considered? I know rules is rules and somebody will have the route planners out but common sense should prevail.
Do Lucs go North again?
Unfortunately BL someone has to go.
Rucks and mauls may bust my balls, but whips and chains excite me!!
Back to Top
Leo T Lion View Drop Down
Mini and Juniors
Mini and Juniors
Avatar

Joined: 18 Jan 2019
Location: bOURNEMOUTH
Status: Offline
Points: 5
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leo T Lion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 10:09
Must have been some pub team, looking at that result.
Leo The Lion
Back to Top
Westwood1944 View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion
Avatar

Joined: 25 Mar 2014
Location: East of the A1
Status: Offline
Points: 245
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Westwood1944 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 12:00
Peterborough Lions have just been invited to volunteer for L & SE premier,not sure why we appear to have a late invitation!
You’ve got to get your first tackle in early, even if it’s late
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.04
Copyright ©2001-2015 Web Wiz Ltd.