National League Rugby Discussion Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Promotion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Promotion

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message
dropout22 View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion


Joined: 03 Jul 2017
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Points: 176
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 08:54
The best result of the season for LS, was no doubt the 17-14 loss to Falcons opening day of the season.
Back to Top
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner


Joined: 08 Dec 2016
Location: London
Status: Offline
Points: 358
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 15:18
Originally posted by maire23 maire23 wrote:

I put a few Falcons fans right on Facebook when they were boasting they’ve battered every single team, every single game. I pointed out that in fact they haven’t and the points difference in fact has been as low as 4 points. Yes they’ve had a good season but some of their fans are breathtakingly short sighted when it comes to some of their shortcomings.
Some of them appeared not to even know who Ealing were and confidently claimed they had no stable backing....

You mean you gave your opinion on Facebook don't you?
Back to Top
CJB1 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Avatar
Moseley

Joined: 25 May 2007
Location: England
Status: Offline
Points: 1355
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJB1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 09:45
Originally posted by maire23 maire23 wrote:

Some of them appeared not to even know who Ealing were and confidently claimed they had no stable backing....
Hmm, might the COVID-19 pandemic knock a hole in Mike Gooley's business model for the Trailfinders business?  And if so, wouldn't that have an impact on Ealing's finances?
…...EDF Trophy winners 2009; “Onwards and Upwards”……
Back to Top
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff
Avatar
Moderator

Joined: 19 May 2007
Location: England
Status: Offline
Points: 4781
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 11:31
Originally posted by CJB1 CJB1 wrote:

Originally posted by maire23 maire23 wrote:

Some of them appeared not to even know who Ealing were and confidently claimed they had no stable backing....
Hmm, might the COVID-19 pandemic knock a hole in Mike Gooley's business model for the Trailfinders business?  And if so, wouldn't that have an impact on Ealing's finances?

No different I suspect to most sponsors of most teams. 
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards



Remember Wakefield RFC
Back to Top
dropout22 View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion


Joined: 03 Jul 2017
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Points: 176
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 11:33
Originally posted by CJB1 CJB1 wrote:

Originally posted by maire23 maire23 wrote:

Some of them appeared not to even know who Ealing were and confidently claimed they had no stable backing....
Hmm, might the COVID-19 pandemic knock a hole in Mike Gooley's business model for the Trailfinders business?  And if so, wouldn't that have an impact on Ealing's finances?
Unsure about the Trailfinders business, but Ealing have said they're not paying anyone any less than was promised. Also just announced two new academy staff for next year. So looks like more investment going into the club, rather than money being taken out.
Back to Top
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner


Joined: 18 Jan 2013
Location: Crawley
Status: Offline
Points: 2664
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 11:34
Originally posted by Richard Lowther Richard Lowther wrote:

Originally posted by CJB1 CJB1 wrote:

Originally posted by maire23 maire23 wrote:

Some of them appeared not to even know who Ealing were and confidently claimed they had no stable backing....
Hmm, might the COVID-19 pandemic knock a hole in Mike Gooley's business model for the Trailfinders business?  And if so, wouldn't that have an impact on Ealing's finances?


No different I suspect to most sponsors of most teams. 


Apart from the fact it is 1 sponsorship source so must make it more susceptible than clubs who have a number of smaller sponsors - particularly when their business is going to take a huge hit for a long period.
RAID ON
Back to Top
maire23 View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular
Avatar

Joined: 11 Apr 2019
Location: Nottingham
Status: Offline
Points: 69
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maire23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 01:37
Given that the bloke is worth 400 million (allegedly- I was reading an interview with him online- and that was last year) I don’t think he’s going to go bust overnight. Granted some travel agencies have gone bust because they put all their eggs in one basket, something Trailfinders to be fair don’t appear to have done. From what I’ve read he’s very shrewd with his finances so even if the business model takes a hit his personal fortune should see him and Ealing through. 
Back to Top
Fat Albert View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner


Joined: 26 Sep 2007
Status: Offline
Points: 1958
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fat Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 12:39

Ampthill DOR Mark Lavery commented on Ealing's position during an interview on Sky Sports News, being as diplomatic as I can be he wasn't very supportive



Edited by Fat Albert - 26 Mar 2020 at 12:42
a Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother
Back to Top
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Avatar

Joined: 10 Oct 2011
Location: LONDON
Status: Offline
Points: 1284
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 19:25
Originally posted by maire23 maire23 wrote:

Some of them appeared not to even know who Ealing were and confidently claimed they had no stable backing....
CJB1 QUOTE

Hmm, might the COVID-19 pandemic knock a hole in Mike Gooley's business model for the Trailfinders business?  And if so, wouldn't that have an impact on Ealing's finances?

It is  going to knock a hole in everyones pocket and every business.  I think other clubs will suffer financially more than Ealing Trailfinders.
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
Back to Top
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner


Joined: 17 Mar 2010
Location: jersey
Status: Offline
Points: 4793
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 21:05
Interesting line on promotion today, albeit from another sport: the FA announced today that all lower-league (non-league) football was done for the season, and that all records would be wiped. The newly-launched Jersey Bulls team had won 27/27 in the Combined Counties League and mathematically secured promotion earlier this month, but now seemingly won't go up unless there is a restructuring or some special case made...
Back to Top
Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner


Joined: 22 Nov 2011
Location: Penzance
Status: Offline
Points: 1797
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 22:22
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

Interesting line on promotion today, albeit from another sport: the FA announced today that all lower-league (non-league) football was done for the season, and that all records would be wiped. The newly-launched Jersey Bulls team had won 27/27 in the Combined Counties League and mathematically secured promotion earlier this month, but now seemingly won't go up unless there is a restructuring or some special case made...

That seems pretty tough on a team that had actually secured promotion.
Back to Top
Member728 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner


Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Location: RAG
Status: Offline
Points: 2147
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Member728 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 12:31
Originally posted by Stalwart Stalwart wrote:

Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

Interesting line on promotion today, albeit from another sport: the FA announced today that all lower-league (non-league) football was done for the season, and that all records would be wiped. The newly-launched Jersey Bulls team had won 27/27 in the Combined Counties League and mathematically secured promotion earlier this month, but now seemingly won't go up unless there is a restructuring or some special case made...

That seems pretty tough on a team that had actually secured promotion.

not really if the relegation issue in the division above is not decided
83 Consecutive League Wins
Back to Top
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Avatar

Joined: 24 Jan 2017
Location: Kent
Status: Offline
Points: 716
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 16:54
Originally posted by Member728 Member728 wrote:

Originally posted by Stalwart Stalwart wrote:

Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

Interesting line on promotion today, albeit from another sport: the FA announced today that all lower-league (non-league) football was done for the season, and that all records would be wiped. The newly-launched Jersey Bulls team had won 27/27 in the Combined Counties League and mathematically secured promotion earlier this month, but now seemingly won't go up unless there is a restructuring or some special case made...

That seems pretty tough on a team that had actually secured promotion.

not really if the relegation issue in the division above is not decided

That should be the logical position the RFU should take. Results wiped except in the case of promotion/relegation between leagues where the positions are already guaranteed. For example in N3LSE, Guildford are mathematically relegated and North Walsham in L1N are mathematically champions so the RFU should just swap them over.   
Back to Top
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner


Joined: 17 Mar 2010
Location: jersey
Status: Offline
Points: 4793
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 20:24
So by the above 'logic' Saracens, altho' mathematically relegated, wouldn't be replaced by Newcastle due to the latter not having had the chance to seal the deal...?
Back to Top
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Avatar

Joined: 24 Jan 2017
Location: Kent
Status: Offline
Points: 716
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 21:15
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

So by the above 'logic' Saracens, altho' mathematically relegated, wouldn't be replaced by Newcastle due to the latter not having had the chance to seal the deal...?

I think the only exception to that would be any existing sanctions by the RFU.
Back to Top
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Avatar

Joined: 10 Oct 2011
Location: LONDON
Status: Offline
Points: 1284
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 07:07
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

Originally posted by Richard Lowther Richard Lowther wrote:

Originally posted by CJB1 CJB1 wrote:

Originally posted by maire23 maire23 wrote:

Some of them appeared not to even know who Ealing were and confidently claimed they had no stable backing....
Hmm, might the COVID-19 pandemic knock a hole in Mike Gooley's business model for the Trailfinders business?  And if so, wouldn't that have an impact on Ealing's finances?


No different I suspect to most sponsors of most teams. 


Apart from the fact it is 1 sponsorship source so must make it more susceptible than clubs who have a number of smaller sponsors - particularly when their business is going to take a huge hit for a long period.

Ealing Trailfinders have dozens of smaller business sponsors . When you come down to Ealing take a look at all of the advertising boards that surround the entire pitch. Other parts of the club, the amateurs the Youth and Mini`s all have sponsors . They have hidden sponsors who not advertise but give generously to the club. The fact is you a wrong and not the first time when it comes to Ealing Trailfinders
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
Back to Top
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner


Joined: 18 Jan 2013
Location: Crawley
Status: Offline
Points: 2664
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 10:53
Originally posted by No 7 No 7 wrote:

Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

Originally posted by Richard Lowther Richard Lowther wrote:

Originally posted by CJB1 CJB1 wrote:

Originally posted by maire23 maire23 wrote:

Some of them appeared not to even know who Ealing were and confidently claimed they had no stable backing....
Hmm, might the COVID-19 pandemic knock a hole in Mike Gooley's business model for the Trailfinders business?  And if so, wouldn't that have an impact on Ealing's finances?


No different I suspect to most sponsors of most teams. 


Apart from the fact it is 1 sponsorship source so must make it more susceptible than clubs who have a number of smaller sponsors - particularly when their business is going to take a huge hit for a long period.


Ealing Trailfinders have dozens of smaller business sponsors . When you come down to Ealing take a look at all of the advertising boards that surround the entire pitch. Other parts of the club, the amateurs the Youth and Mini`s all have sponsors . They have hidden sponsors who not advertise but give generously to the club. The fact is you a wrong and not the first time when it comes to Ealing Trailfinders


Deliberately, or otherwise, you know exactly what I mean, but I will spell it out for you.

A team with 20 sponsors putting in £50k each is likely to be more sustainable than 1 sponsor putting in £1m - just ask Old Elthamians, Birmingham & Solihull etc
RAID ON
Back to Top
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner


Joined: 08 Dec 2016
Location: London
Status: Offline
Points: 358
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 14:16
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

So by the above 'logic' Saracens, altho' mathematically relegated, wouldn't be replaced by Newcastle due to the latter not having had the chance to seal the deal...?

Saracens chose to be relegated rather than open their books therefore if there is no promotion/relegation this season that decision should be carried over until the end of next season. Ensuring no points are to be played for in all Premiership games involving Saracens until then would prevent them from Lovelying the league further.
Back to Top
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner


Joined: 18 Jan 2013
Location: Crawley
Status: Offline
Points: 2664
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 17:50
Originally posted by WEvans WEvans wrote:

Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

So by the above 'logic' Saracens, altho' mathematically relegated, wouldn't be replaced by Newcastle due to the latter not having had the chance to seal the deal...?


Saracens chose to be relegated rather than open their books therefore if there is no promotion/relegation this season that decision should be carried over until the end of next season. Ensuring no points are to be played for in all Premiership games involving Saracens until then would prevent them from Lovelying the league further.


You are correct Saracens chose to be relegated so should be.

If they don't promote Newcastle then next season there should be 11 in the Premiership and 13 in the Championship.
RAID ON
Back to Top
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner


Joined: 08 Dec 2016
Location: London
Status: Offline
Points: 358
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 14:34
Originally posted by WEvans WEvans wrote:

Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

So by the above 'logic' Saracens, altho' mathematically relegated, wouldn't be replaced by Newcastle due to the latter not having had the chance to seal the deal...?

Saracens chose to be relegated rather than open their books therefore if there is no promotion/relegation this season that decision should be carried over until the end of next season. Ensuring no points are to be played for in all Premiership games involving Saracens until then would prevent them from Lovelying the league further.

For lovelying read c-o-r-r-u-p-t-i-n-g!
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd.