Print Page | Close Window

Dave Ward

Printed From: National League Rugby Discussion Forums
Category: League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk
Forum Name: Clubhouse chat
Forum Description: For rugby related posts that fit nowhere else.. When you're ready Sandra.
URL: http://www.rolling-maul.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=17259
Printed Date: 26 Mar 2019 at 11:12
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com


Topic: Dave Ward
Posted By: Cannon
Subject: Dave Ward
Date Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 21:26
Looks like Guildfords coach will be full time with them until the end of March!!

I can’t see Dave Ward having any mitigation for his actions in today’s Quins game, rugby must come down hard on him for spitting - DISGUSTING!

-------------
Rucks and mauls may bust my balls, but whips and chains excite me!!



Replies:
Posted By: Insignificant Tick
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 11:24
Do Guilford have an opinion on what their coach did ?
Do they want someone who does that, coaching their side ?




Posted By: Raider999
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 11:31
Originally posted by Cannon Cannon wrote:

Looks like Guildfords coach will be full time with them until the end of March!!

I can’t see Dave Ward having any mitigation for his actions in today’s Quins game, rugby must come down hard on him for spitting - DISGUSTING!


Surely, if you are suspended, you are suspended from coaching as well as playing?

-------------
RAID ON


Posted By: Cannon
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 11:41
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

Originally posted by Cannon Cannon wrote:

Looks like Guildfords coach will be full time with them until the end of March!!

I can’t see Dave Ward having any mitigation for his actions in today’s Quins game, rugby must come down hard on him for spitting - DISGUSTING!


Surely, if you are suspended, you are suspended from coaching as well as playing?

The comment was more about the spitting than the coaching, but it does raise an interesting question.

-------------
Rucks and mauls may bust my balls, but whips and chains excite me!!


Posted By: tulip
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 13:52
Harlequins clear Ward of spitting


Posted By: Camquin
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 14:01
Even I am tempted to misquote Miss Rice-Davies , "well they would wouldn't they."
If they were to find him guilty, then the citing officer would have to step in.


-------------
Blood and Sand


Posted By: Cannon
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 14:06
Originally posted by tulip tulip wrote:

Harlequins clear Ward of spitting
Nowt so blind as those who don’t want to see!!

-------------
Rucks and mauls may bust my balls, but whips and chains excite me!!


Posted By: Count Ford
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 14:07
They found him guilty of the stamp but not of spitting...I'm guessing Harlequins are trying to be proactive and avoid what would have been probably a 2-4 week ban by showing they are taking action.

Still if he is cited for either the stamp of spitting then further action could be taken by the disciplinary committee.


Posted By: No 7
Date Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 15:41
< ="text/" ="" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">< ="text/" ="" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">


The footage showed him spitting while standing directly above Young having stamped or about to stamp on his ankle.

How can they refute it !. 


-------------
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.


Posted By: OldNick
Date Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 15:47
Apparently a different camera angle didn’t show him spitting.

Ok, it was taken by the Mars lander...


Posted By: Stoatgobbler
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 01:07
Always been a nasty little git.
I still remember him putting his boot, studs first, into the face of a prone London Welsh player, when Ward was playing for the Cornish Pirates.


Posted By: Raider999
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 13:32
Originally posted by OldNick OldNick wrote:

Apparently a different camera angle didn’t show him spitting.

Ok, it was taken by the Mars lander...


The picture I have seen clearly shows spittle emerging from his mouth - not sure how anyone can say otherwise.

-------------
RAID ON


Posted By: backrowb
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 13:38
Almost every player spits. There seems to be no evidence that it hits or is directed at another player.


Posted By: castleparknight
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 14:06
Originally posted by backrowb backrowb wrote:

Almost every player spits. There seems to be no evidence that it hits or is directed at another player.

And I think that is their defence, sensible viewpoint from you BRB


-------------
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!


Posted By: Kimbo
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 16:09
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

Originally posted by OldNick OldNick wrote:

Apparently a different camera angle didn’t show him spitting.

Ok, it was taken by the Mars lander...


The picture I have seen clearly shows spittle emerging from his mouth - not sure how anyone can say otherwise.

I'm not going to have allegations of sarcasm coming my way this time.
No siree.

-------------
Our City,
Our Club


Posted By: No 7
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 17:21
< ="text/" ="" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">< ="text/" ="" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">
Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

Originally posted by backrowb backrowb wrote:

Almost every player spits. There seems to be no evidence that it hits or is directed at another player.

And I think that is their defence, sensible viewpoint from you BRB

He his standing above him and is stamping on his ankle but he felt the need to spit

This clip shows him mouthing off to the player and then he spits at him. No doubt whatsoever. They need to make an example of him.

https://streamable.com/t6j8m

26 seconds in . He spits directly at the player on the ground.


-------------
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.


Posted By: Camquin
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 17:28
Has he actually been cited?

-------------
Blood and Sand


Posted By: OldNick
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 19:25
No, and now can’t be, according to the regulations.


Posted By: Robb
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 20:13
Originally posted by OldNick OldNick wrote:

No, and now can’t be, according to the regulations.

So he gets off scot free with a 1 match club ban then?


Posted By: Camquin
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 21:46
That is how it works, if the citing officer does not take it forward then there is no further action.

Given the referee and TMO saw the incident and deemed it worthy of a yellow, the citing officer would have to be certain it is a clear RED. 

They need strong proof that can overcome a defence of "I did not deliberately spit at him, I just spat near him."  Because if they cannot overturn that, then it has already been dealt with.

So this time he gets off.


-------------
Blood and Sand


Posted By: castleparknight
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 07:07
Originally posted by No 7 No 7 wrote:

< ="text/" ="" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">< ="text/" ="" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">
Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

Originally posted by backrowb backrowb wrote:

Almost every player spits. There seems to be no evidence that it hits or is directed at another player.

And I think that is their defence, sensible viewpoint from you BRB

He his standing above him and is stamping on his ankle but he felt the need to spit

This clip shows him mouthing off to the player and then he spits at him. No doubt whatsoever. They need to make an example of him.

https://streamable.com/t6j8m

26 seconds in . He spits directly at the player on the ground.

I caught sight of the spit but looking at the angle of the spit, after leaving his mouth, in relation to the last known position of the player on the ground it would appear not to be at him, and I think that is the grounds for the denial. 


-------------
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!


Posted By: kingsheathlad
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 09:08
Spitsgate.!

-------------
Cauliflower ear


Posted By: No 7
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 15:13
Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

Originally posted by No 7 No 7 wrote:

< ="text/" ="" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">< ="text/" ="" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">
Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

Originally posted by backrowb backrowb wrote:

Almost every player spits. There seems to be no evidence that it hits or is directed at another player.


And I think that is their defence, sensible viewpoint from you BRB


He his standing above him and is stamping on his ankle but he felt the need to spit

This clip shows him mouthing off to the player and then he spits at him. No doubt whatsoever. They need to make an example of him.

https://streamable.com/t6j8m

26 seconds in . He spits directly at the player on the ground.



I caught sight of the spit but looking at the angle of the spit, after leaving his mouth, in relation to the last known position of the player on the ground it would appear not to be at him, and I think that is the grounds for the denial. 


Really !

Are you looking at the same footage?

-------------
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.


Posted By: Camquin
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 15:40
And therein lies the difficulty - two people can view footage differently.
Because the citing is effectively a red card, even though there is a disciplinary panel which can overturn the decision, the citing commissioner must be sure the evidence is clear.



-------------
Blood and Sand


Posted By: islander
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 15:53
I agree Cq = not clear-cut.

It certainly appears clear that spittle/phlegm emerges from his gob, but sometimes people do involuntarily release like this, especially when they are animated and/or puffing and/or shouting. They may not actually mean to direct their DNA at someone. I guess it is in determining this intention that the challenge for the 'prosecution' lies, as I don't believe it's like gouging, where any contact with the eye area would be actionable whether or not it was intentional. 


Posted By: No 7
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 19:11
< ="text/" ="" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">< ="text/" ="" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

And therein lies the difficulty - two people can view footage differently.
Because the citing is effectively a red card, even though there is a disciplinary panel which can overturn the decision, the citing commissioner must be sure the evidence is clear.



Put it in context , he is prepared to tread on a players ankle and turn it into the ground with his full weight !. It could be construed as a complete accident but it is deliberate, premeditated, an incredibly cowardly action.

He is mouthing off looking directly down at the prone player. The clearly visible spitting is not involuntary, the sheer quantity of spit is visible on the footage. 

Thomas Young`s reaction was immediate he was on the floor and when he was spat on he leapt up off the floor he ( illegally) tackled Ward to the ground. He floored Ward without hesitation, does anyone have an opinion as to why he reacted in that way ?. Could it be that he had just been spat on ?.

https://streamable.com/t6j8m


-------------
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.


Posted By: backrowb
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 21:21
Young immediately spun up onto his feet. If there had been any large force or weight on his ankle it would have broken.
Young was uninjured.
It wasn't nice but I have seen much worse. Laminini on Hughes eg


Posted By: Raider999
Date Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 10:30
Time to agree to disagree and move on?

-------------
RAID ON


Posted By: WEvans
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 13:51
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

Time to agree to disagree and move on?

Indeed. No action from the citing officer but a ban from Quins for being a prat if nothing else.


Posted By: JonDee
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 17:56
Could I make a point I have worked with a lot of lower level clubs who have a big problem attracting new kids to the game, without them these clubs will slowly fail  .  One of the major attractions of rugby over especially football is the discipline , respect for others and respect for officials. These actions along with a number of others over the recent 12 months by the !!!!! professionals which are given a large amount of main stream press  are seriously affecting the lower level clubs attempts to bring in new players


Posted By: Maskedchicken
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 20:27
Originally posted by backrowb backrowb wrote:

Young immediately spun up onto his feet. If there had been any large force or weight on his ankle it would have broken.
Young was uninjured.
It wasn't nice but I have seen much worse. Laminini on Hughes eg


How brittle are your bones/joints?

Did Guildford ever say anything or just keep quiet in the hope it would blow over? I can’t imagine many family friendly clubs (I’m not sure Guildford is one from experience) keeping someone who does this in the spotlight to be a role model for the mini and youth section


Posted By: WEvans
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 16:21
Originally posted by Maskedchicken Maskedchicken wrote:

Originally posted by backrowb backrowb wrote:

Young immediately spun up onto his feet. If there had been any large force or weight on his ankle it would have broken.
Young was uninjured.
It wasn't nice but I have seen much worse. Laminini on Hughes eg


How brittle are your bones/joints?

Did Guildford ever say anything or just keep quiet in the hope it would blow over? I can’t imagine many family friendly clubs (I’m not sure Guildford is one from experience) keeping someone who does this in the spotlight to be a role model for the mini and youth section

A bizarre post just to have a dig at Guildford? How could Guildford keep the incident quiet in the hope it would blow over when it was plastered all over the media? 


Posted By: Maskedchicken
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 17:33
Sorry WEvans if you think my post was bizarre. Is there a reason for that?

I thought I made a valid point just like JonDee before me. Players are role models and the rugby community has always been proud to point out that our game is not like football and played in the right manner. Dave Ward in my opinion fell foul of that and as head coach at a community rugby club is a role model to the mini and youth section.

Did Guildford say anything about the incident or just close their eyes? I am guessing the latter but I’d love to be wrong.


Posted By: WEvans
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 14:58
Thanks. It seems it was just to have a pop at Guildford then.

Bizarre.


Posted By: RedPete
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 22:58
Originally posted by WEvans WEvans wrote:

Originally posted by Maskedchicken Maskedchicken wrote:

Originally posted by backrowb backrowb wrote:

Young immediately spun up onto his feet. If there had been any large force or weight on his ankle it would have broken.
Young was uninjured.
It wasn't nice but I have seen much worse. Laminini on Hughes eg


How brittle are your bones/joints?

Did Guildford ever say anything or just keep quiet in the hope it would blow over? I can’t imagine many family friendly clubs (I’m not sure Guildford is one from experience) keeping someone who does this in the spotlight to be a role model for the mini and youth section

A bizarre post just to have a dig at Guildford? How could Guildford keep the incident quiet in the hope it would blow over when it was plastered all over the media? 
 
I think Maskedchicken's point was that Guildford kept quiet about the incident rather than try to keep the incident quiet, IMO a totally different thing.  I almost emailed DW's Mum to hope that Santa took all his presents away as he had been a very naughty boy!


-------------
Schadenfreude - such a big word for something so small-minded


Posted By: Surreyben
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 10:34
Given that The Rugby Paper reports today that Dave Ward is going to leave Quins and go to Yorkshire Carnegie next season, no-one at Guildford would have to worry much longer anyway... 



Posted By: Albert Fishwick
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 19:18
Deep joy.

-------------
That's easy for you to say.


Posted By: Maskedchicken
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 22:28
I was not aware of DW going up’t North.

Can anybody answer me
1) did Guildford make any comment about the spitting incident?
2) what does WEvans find bizarre about my post on a thread entitled “Dave Ward” which comments upon Dave Ward who is Guildford’s coach, and the fact he is a role model especially to the mini/youth section at that club?


Posted By: WEvans
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 17:10
Originally posted by Maskedchicken Maskedchicken wrote:

I was not aware of DW going up’t North.

Can anybody answer me
1) did Guildford make any comment about the spitting incident?
2) what does WEvans find bizarre about my post on a thread entitled “Dave Ward” which comments upon Dave Ward who is Guildford’s coach, and the fact he is a role model especially to the mini/youth section at that club?

1) I have no idea.

2) Bearing in mind the fact that the citing officer took absolutely no mention of the two highly publicised "incidents" and the fact that neither of us know if Dave Ward (who I personally regard as an idiot on the field) is "a role model especially to the mini/youth section at that club" I find it bizarre that you seem to be trying to use your post to discredit Guildford RFC (with whom I have no connection at all).

I trust this answers your second question at least and that you accept I have the right to hold an opinion.


Posted By: Maskedchicken
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 19:39
No, you are wrong. Whatever you say, he absolutely IS a role model. I am surprised you don’t think a professional player and the head coach at a community rugby club should be a role model.

So yes have an opinion but I truly hope you are in a tiny minority that think like that because I would not want my son playing at a club where the head coach of the 1st team - who absolutely IS a role model - acts in that way.

And this is why I simply asked if Guildford made a statement.

What a “bizarre” comment


Posted By: WEvans
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 16:13
Originally posted by Maskedchicken Maskedchicken wrote:

No, you are wrong. Whatever you say, he absolutely IS a role model. I am surprised you don’t think a professional player and the head coach at a community rugby club should be a role model.

So yes have an opinion but I truly hope you are in a tiny minority that think like that because I would not want my son playing at a club where the head coach of the 1st team - who absolutely IS a role model - acts in that way.

And this is why I simply asked if Guildford made a statement.

What a “bizarre” comment

So I have an opinion but it is wrong? Yet another truly bizarre comment from you. 

I await the next bizarre comment. I'm sure you won't disappoint.


Posted By: Maskedchicken
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 07:24
Have an opinion but I think - and truly hope - you are in the vast minority because it is truly bizarre that you think a professional player as a head coach at a local club is not a role model to young players at the club.

Is rugby really losing its values and becoming more like football at some clubs?


Posted By: Guildfordblue
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 08:31
Originally posted by Maskedchicken Maskedchicken wrote:

Have an opinion but I think - and truly hope - you are in the vast minority because it is truly bizarre that you think a professional player as a head coach at a local club is not a role model to young players at the club.

Is rugby really losing its values and becoming more like football at some clubs?

You really are an idiot aren't you.  Take your sour grapes and move on. 


Posted By: Richard Lowther
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 08:45
Keep if friendly please. This is not a school playground.

-------------
Moderator http://www.leaguerugby.co.uk" rel="nofollow - National League Rugby Message Boards



Remember Wakefield RFC


Posted By: WEvans
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 12:35
Originally posted by Guildfordblue Guildfordblue wrote:

Originally posted by Maskedchicken Maskedchicken wrote:

Have an opinion but I think - and truly hope - you are in the vast minority because it is truly bizarre that you think a professional player as a head coach at a local club is not a role model to young players at the club.

Is rugby really losing its values and becoming more like football at some clubs?

You really are an idiot aren't you.  Take your sour grapes and move on. 

Indeed.


Posted By: Maskedchicken
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 17:22
Sour grapes?

I am aghast at the opinion and values of some people. I always think it is good to be nice.


Posted By: Mark W-J
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 19:00
Jeez, just leave it, will ya?


Posted By: Maskedchicken
Date Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 22:25
The L&SE Premier prediction league week 17 makes some interesting reading. My faith has been restored.


Posted By: WEvans
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 14:24
Originally posted by Maskedchicken Maskedchicken wrote:

The L&SE Premier prediction league week 17 makes some interesting reading. My faith has been restored.

Because a club has an idiot who "supports" them? Dear oh dear.


Posted By: Insignificant Tick
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 14:59
Originally posted by WEvans WEvans wrote:

Originally posted by Maskedchicken Maskedchicken wrote:

The L&SE Premier prediction league week 17 makes some interesting reading. My faith has been restored.

Because a club has an idiot who "supports" them? Dear oh dear.

The "idiot" didn't just support them, he was their head coach !


Posted By: WEvans
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 12:07
Is anyone else being bombarded by unwanted private messages from Maskedchicken telling tales about Guildford RFC as he promotes his apparent agenda against this club?





Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2015 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk