National League Rugby Discussion Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - A glimmer and signs of club rugby coming back
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

A glimmer and signs of club rugby coming back

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141516
Author
Message
PlangentThrowback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner


Joined: 07 Feb 2012
Status: Offline
Points: 1240
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PlangentThrowback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 15:07
Originally posted by Halliford Halliford wrote:

Originally posted by PiffPaff PiffPaff wrote:

So Week 3 and another game bites the dust with a squad self-isolating.

The sight of using the Allianz Premier 15s as a Guinea Pig for untested rugby is clear to see. 

This league should NEVER had started. No vaccine = no game


Which could mean we have seen the end of rugby as a vaccine is highly unlikely despite what some big pharmaceutical say. After 35 years we still have no vaccine for AIDS which is itself a coronavirus. 
We are going to have to get used to living with the virus and taking precautions. If the Test and Trace system worked we would be happier but it doesn’t so we are stuck with this complete mess.

AIDS is a syndrome not a virus. The responsible one is HIV.  That isn't a coronavirus either.  Where you are correct is that we have never developed a vaccine against any coronavirus. Obviously a lot of resources are being thrown at it but there are no guarantees that it will succeed.  Depending on the definition of success of course.

In the meantime we have a contact sport where even professionals who can restrict contact with others can get infected and spread it in a squad, plus a community game that is basically the general public at play. No chance of restarting before Spring of next year. With clubs trying to make ends meet by takeaway curry on a Friday. 
Back to Top
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Avatar

Joined: 07 Jun 2012
Location: Doncaster
Status: Offline
Points: 1647
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 14:01
Vaccines are imminent, could be within a month but not enough available for the whole country to start off with, these will be in the shape of the Flu vaccine so be required annually to adapt to the mutations in the virus. If (and it is a big if) we can get enough vaccines out  to the general population I would guess a very earl Spring or late Winter is feasible. Hope springs eternal Smile
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Back to Top
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner


Joined: 18 Jan 2013
Location: Crawley
Status: Offline
Points: 3219
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 17:04
Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

Vaccines are imminent, could be within a month but not enough available for the whole country to start off with, these will be in the shape of the Flu vaccine so be required annually to adapt to the mutations in the virus. If (and it is a big if) we can get enough vaccines out  to the general population I would guess a very earl Spring or late Winter is feasible. Hope springs eternal Smile


The last indication I saw was that the vaccine would probably be needed at least twice a year to maintain antibodies. I would suggest March/April is most likely for a start if it happens at all.

At the moment we are closer to a full lockdown than further opening up of restrictions.
RAID ON
Back to Top
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Avatar

Joined: 24 Jan 2017
Location: Kent
Status: Online
Points: 870
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 18:46
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

Vaccines are imminent, could be within a month but not enough available for the whole country to start off with, these will be in the shape of the Flu vaccine so be required annually to adapt to the mutations in the virus. If (and it is a big if) we can get enough vaccines out  to the general population I would guess a very earl Spring or late Winter is feasible. Hope springs eternal Smile


The last indication I saw was that the vaccine would probably be needed at least twice a year to maintain antibodies. I would suggest March/April is most likely for a start if it happens at all.

At the moment we are closer to a full lockdown than further opening up of restrictions.

They do a full lockdown, there will be a riot. Quite rightly, most of the south will argue why should they be punished for the north's failures?
Back to Top
PiffPaff View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Avatar

Joined: 30 Oct 2014
Location: Manchester
Status: Online
Points: 703
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PiffPaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 19:22
Robb,

How are the Sales of your new book going? "How to get people's backs up!"

I guess you are not a facts & figures man and all the Media including the Evening Standard Report below from today is spreading Fake News?

The second wave of coronavirus in England has reached a “critical stage” with a new report suggesting that, on average, every infected person in London is passing on the virus to nearly three other people - the highest estimated R rate in England.

The Imperial College London study showed infections are doubling every nine days, with a national reproduction number (R) - the spread of infection - estimated at 1.56, compared to 1.16 in the previous round.

The study used data and swab results from 86,000 people between October 16-25, and estimates there are around 96,000 new infections per day.

But the fastest growth rates are now in the South, with the R number in London as high as 2.86.

The experts behind the data called for tougher restrictions to be implemented sooner rather than later as the current measures are “not sufficient”.

Their warning comes after the capital moved from Tier 1 to Tier 2 - High Alert - banning households mixing indoors and Londoners have been told to avoid public transport where possible.

Crouch, Bind, Tweet!
Back to Top
Deva Delinquent View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner


Joined: 24 May 2017
Location: Chester
Status: Offline
Points: 1044
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Deva Delinquent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 19:23
Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

Vaccines are imminent, could be within a month but not enough available for the whole country to start off with, these will be in the shape of the Flu vaccine so be required annually to adapt to the mutations in the virus. If (and it is a big if) we can get enough vaccines out  to the general population I would guess a very earl Spring or late Winter is feasible. Hope springs eternal Smile


The last indication I saw was that the vaccine would probably be needed at least twice a year to maintain antibodies. I would suggest March/April is most likely for a start if it happens at all.

At the moment we are closer to a full lockdown than further opening up of restrictions.

They do a full lockdown, there will be a riot. Quite rightly, most of the south will argue why should they be punished for the Government's failures?

There, fixed that for you 👍
Back to Top
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Avatar

Joined: 24 Jan 2017
Location: Kent
Status: Online
Points: 870
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 hours 21 minutes ago at 09:19
Originally posted by PiffPaff PiffPaff wrote:

Robb,

How are the Sales of your new book going? "How to get people's backs up!"

I guess you are not a facts & figures man and all the Media including the Evening Standard Report below from today is spreading Fake News?

The second wave of coronavirus in England has reached a “critical stage” with a new report suggesting that, on average, every infected person in London is passing on the virus to nearly three other people - the highest estimated R rate in England.

The Imperial College London study showed infections are doubling every nine days, with a national reproduction number (R) - the spread of infection - estimated at 1.56, compared to 1.16 in the previous round.

The study used data and swab results from 86,000 people between October 16-25, and estimates there are around 96,000 new infections per day.

But the fastest growth rates are now in the South, with the R number in London as high as 2.86.

The experts behind the data called for tougher restrictions to be implemented sooner rather than later as the current measures are “not sufficient”.

Their warning comes after the capital moved from Tier 1 to Tier 2 - High Alert - banning households mixing indoors and Londoners have been told to avoid public transport where possible.


There's more to the South than London. Not sure if you're aware of that. I'm all in favour of locking London down if they haven't been following the rules. But the rest of us shouldn't be punished for a city or two's failures.


Edited by Robb - 10 hours 20 minutes ago at 09:20
Back to Top
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Avatar

Joined: 28 Jun 2013
Location: East Yorkshire
Status: Offline
Points: 1312
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7 hours 59 minutes ago at 11:41
All plans to watch the Internationals at the Club tomorrow, whilst observing Covid restrictions/social distancing etc, are now scuppered.
The LA & Gov have decided to put East Yorkshire into Tier 2 with effect from 12:01 Saturday morning. All drinks and food ordered will now be wasted and any estimated income will be lost.
The East Riding has 0.24% of 100,000 people catching Covid every week. Of the 0.24%, only 10% have symptoms and are feeling unwell. Not sure how many are dying of Covid because the figures are, quite deliberately, not clear of who is dying of what.
SARS never went away and neither will Covid. 
IMO we need to make the Public & businesses aware of the risk but allow them to make up their own minds on what they will or will not do.
All Knwoing All Seeing
Back to Top
Moseley Mauler View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Avatar
Moseley

Joined: 22 May 2007
Location: England
Status: Online
Points: 537
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moseley Mauler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7 hours 15 minutes ago at 12:25
FFS, I come on this board to get a bit of a rugby fix.  I get more than enough Covid debate on the TV.  So to all of you posters getting political about Covid, do me a favour and Rhubarb off
Back to Top
Full Bodied Red View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion
Avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2010
Location: East Yorkshire
Status: Online
Points: 200
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full Bodied Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7 hours 3 minutes ago at 12:37
Well, sorry that it might annoy you from your position in the championship at Mosley to see a comment about Covid on here. Our club like hundreds of others I suppose have been struggling from the first day of lockdown to do what we can to remain viable. Maybe you don’t care how many community clubs are teetering on the edge?

Edited by Full Bodied Red - 6 hours 54 minutes ago at 12:46
Back to Top
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Avatar

Joined: 24 Jan 2017
Location: Kent
Status: Online
Points: 870
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6 hours 45 minutes ago at 12:55
Originally posted by Sid James Sid James wrote:

All plans to watch the Internationals at the Club tomorrow, whilst observing Covid restrictions/social distancing etc, are now scuppered.
The LA & Gov have decided to put East Yorkshire into Tier 2 with effect from 12:01 Saturday morning. All drinks and food ordered will now be wasted and any estimated income will be lost.
The East Riding has 0.24% of 100,000 people catching Covid every week. Of the 0.24%, only 10% have symptoms and are feeling unwell. Not sure how many are dying of Covid because the figures are, quite deliberately, not clear of who is dying of what.
SARS never went away and neither will Covid. 
IMO we need to make the Public & businesses aware of the risk but allow them to make up their own minds on what they will or will not do.

Just register your club as a company and list all your members as staff and you can get away with carrying on.

Back to Top
Scrumtime View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad


Joined: 26 Aug 2020
Location: London
Status: Online
Points: 42
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6 hours 4 minutes ago at 13:36
The sooner they pull the plug on the 20/21 season and let everybody try and sort themselves out the better. This rolling a couple of months at a time is no good for players, clubs or coaching staff.

I hope in their meeting on Nov 11th they like Scotland say the season is not happening at club level. Then clubs and players can plan. Yes there are going to be issues, there are all over the world at present, but please make the sensible call and pull it, don't leave clubs and players on tender hooks for any longer.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like too be watching club rugby and having a pint before and after as well as everybody on a Saturday afternoon but we need a decision and guidance now, not just letting it roll month to month!


Edited by Scrumtime - 5 hours 11 minutes ago at 14:29
Back to Top
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2017
Location: Ealing
Status: Offline
Points: 972
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5 hours 21 minutes ago at 14:19
Ealing vs. Newcastle match on the 7th will go ahead with no fans. They are making ot available to stream for £10. Personally, I am gutted. Given that the local wendyball club down the road is allowed 500 fans per match, I dont see why at least season ticket holders couldnt have been allowed. Not sure if I will stream, or stand at the fence where I know there is a good view.
Back to Top
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Online
Points: 3206
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2 hours 19 minutes ago at 17:21
Originally posted by Scrumtime Scrumtime wrote:

The sooner they pull the plug on the 20/21 season and let everybody try and sort themselves out the better. This rolling a couple of months at a time is no good for players, clubs or coaching staff.

I hope in their meeting on Nov 11th they like Scotland say the season is not happening at club level. Then clubs and players can plan. Yes there are going to be issues, there are all over the world at present, but please make the sensible call and pull it, don't leave clubs and players on tender hooks for any longer.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like too be watching club rugby and having a pint before and after as well as everybody on a Saturday afternoon but we need a decision and guidance now, not just letting it roll month to month!

Sadly most community clubs, i.e. Level 3 down rely on match-day income to survive. We ned some rugby but have already assumed that Level3 and below will not have a proper League season. What the Championship is doing is presumably being discussed behind closed doors or is there just going to be a 4-way play-off between Ealing, Saracens, Doncaster and Jersey who seem to be the only Cl;ubs with squads in training!
Back to Top
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner


Joined: 31 May 2007
Location: 'incleh
Status: Offline
Points: 4204
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1 hour 3 minutes ago at 18:37
Cov don't count then?
Our City,
Our Club
Back to Top
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Avatar

Joined: 31 Oct 2010
Location: Doncaster
Status: Online
Points: 1771
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 47 minutes ago at 18:53
Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

Cov don't count then?

They deffo do Kimbo, referring to the above, Donny are supposed to be back in training November, according to the RP.  I've not heard anything officially yet



Edited by KnightsBoy - 47 minutes ago at 18:53
Back to Top
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner


Joined: 31 May 2007
Location: 'incleh
Status: Offline
Points: 4204
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 35 minutes ago at 19:05
Cov were well ahead of Donny then.
Fake news.
Wink
Our City,
Our Club
Back to Top
PiffPaff View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Avatar

Joined: 30 Oct 2014
Location: Manchester
Status: Online
Points: 703
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiffPaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 35 minutes ago at 19:05
All RFU Leagues from Level 3 Down are cancelled for this season.
Crouch, Bind, Tweet!
Back to Top
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Avatar

Joined: 24 Jan 2017
Location: Kent
Status: Online
Points: 870
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 minutes ago at 19:27
So much for that glimmer of hope

What a fu.cking outrageous decision that is going to cause so much harm to the community game. 
Back to Top
Scrumtime View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad


Joined: 26 Aug 2020
Location: London
Status: Online
Points: 42
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3 minutes ago at 19:37
Originally posted by PiffPaff PiffPaff wrote:

All RFU Leagues from Level 3 Down are cancelled for this season.


The RFU Council has today made the difficult decision to cancel the Adult Competitive Leagues (Level 3 and below for Men, Level 2 and below for Women) for the 2020/21 season. We believe that, even if a return to full contact rugby becomes possible, playing a meaningful competitive league season resulting in promotion and relegation is no longer feasible.

Given the Government’s additional restrictions to curb the increase in Covid-19 cases in locations across the country, and growing concerns around travelling significant distances outside immediate localities to fulfil fixtures due to increased risk of transmission, the decision has been made now so we can provide clubs with some certainty for the remainder of the season.

The Championship remains on course to start in January 2021, with this league subject to Government’s Elite Return to Play protocols. 

What rugby can we play?

We have been in daily contact with Government about moving towards some form of contact rugby that will enable as many matches to take place as possible. 

Steve Grainger, Rugby Development Director, said; “We are very keen to see competitive rugby being played again and have been pushing extremely hard to accelerate a return to contact rugby. However, we also need to be realistic about the prevalence of Covid-19 cases in society and, given the introduction of further regional restrictions, we are working with Government to create alternative solutions. 

“Progress has been made following productive conversations with DCMS and the Office of the Deputy Chief Medical Officer who have shown a willingness to work with the RFU to explore other available options.” 

Sports Minister Nigel Huddleston said: "I know that today's decision from the RFU will be disappointing to players and fans across the country however protecting people's health is absolutely paramount. The government is continuing to work closely with the RFU on ways in which we can bring the competitive, community game back in some form ahead of a return to full contact as soon as the public health situation allows." 

Steve Grainger added: “While many people have looked forward to contact rugby returning, we are receiving more and more feedback from clubs and players that adaptations would be acceptable. There is an increasing appetite to play an adapted format of rugby rather than having no fixtures at all. 

“We will do everything we can to enable the rugby community to return to contact matches as soon as we can, but our priority is to keep players, coaches, referees and volunteers safe. We will provide an update to our community clubs as soon as we can. We would like to once again thank everyone for their incredible efforts in implementing the necessary changes and for their continued support in keeping formats of rugby going during this challenging season.”

For the current time we remain at Stage D on the 
Return to Community Rugby Roadmap.


Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141516
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd.